Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August 3rd, 2011 Surgery


"I will not despair, for God is always good" Psalm 27:10

Today has been a long day for mom in surgery.
She was really sick all day yesterday and nauseous throughout the night.
We had to be here by 6:30 AM,she was taken back at 7:00.

They got the iv in on the first try. (a major victory as this is a multiple try ordeal every time) Dad stayed with her during her consultation with the anesthesiologist and surgeons.

They told mom and dad that there was a possibility they would not even address the right kidney today if the surgery was too long and would cause too much stress for her. The kidney surgeon said that they could address the kidney at a later time either laproscopicly, or with a cryo treatment or inject chemo. In any event it is less worrisome than the large mass so they needed to make sure we understood that they would address it later if today's surgery was too extensive and they needed to spend the majority of the time on the pancreas / stomach area.

We got calls every two hours to update us from the OR. The end result is this:
They took the lower half of the pancreas,they took the spleen,there was stomach involvement so they took a section of the stomach as well. The thing we were not expecting was that they also had to take part of her colon. The mass was really invasive and they had to take particular care in dissecting around blood vessels to not interrupt circulation. This was tedious and took the most time. Since it was all on the left side and it took so long in that area they elected to not cause trauma to the opposite side as well.

She has a tube in her side draining fluids. The surgeon says this is his main concern. Tissue has to be sewn together and may leak. There was so much done that now it can be leakage from the pancreas, stomach or colon. Please pray for healing of the areas. Please pray that all cancer on a cellular level will disappear.

She has a tune down her nose that bypasses her stomach and goes into her intestine. She will be given some nutrition through it later if she is doing well.

She has an epidural to help manage her post operative pain. Please pray that she has relief from pain and is able to rest comfortably. She has degenerative discs in her neck and laying in bed can be miserable. This is an area that would be merciful for her to have relief so I am going to ask specificly for prayer over her in this as well.

She had an excellent surgical team, she did not need any transfusions and her vital signs were good throughout surgery.

Our prayer now is for her blood pressure. She is in recovery but her BP has tanked and they are working on getting it back up to an acceptable level. This is normal for mom as she has done this after every other surgery she has had, but it still needs to get turned around soon.

Please feel free to leave comments for her here. When she is awake and out of pain we will be reading them to her.

We have truly felt your love and prayers during this incredibly long day. We have had peace even in the midst of anxiety. For that we are grateful.

We appreciate and love you.
With a grateful heart,

Kimberly and family

9 comments:

Leila Carl said...

Dear Ladeva and Family...you have been and will continue to be on our hearts and in our prayers. We love you.

"Find rest my soul, in Christ alone. Know His power, in quietness and trust. When the oceans rise and thunders roll, I will soar with you above the storm. Father you are King over the flood. I will be still and know you are God."

Anonymous said...

Ladeva , My Dear Sweet Friend you are in my thoughts and prayers !! Sending Love & hugs to you, Cleo

Anonymous said...

sis,
my heart has been right there with you all day long...
praying for you continually..
"BY MY STRIPES YOU ARE HEALED"
He HAS ALREADY DONE IT FOR YOU..
1 PET.2:24.
"MY POWER CAUSES DISEASES TO DEPART FROM YOU" ACTS 19:12..
GRAB ON TO THOSE WORDS AND BE STRONG...
YOU ARE SO LOVED.
djkz

Anonymous said...

Dear Ladeva,
May our MIGHTY God do a MIGHTY work of recovery in your entire body. May you feel His arms of love around you filling you with His love and peace. May all the blessings you have poured into so many others be returned to you now in overflowing measure.
Love & Prayers to one of the dearest people I've come to know.
Sylvia McC

Anonymous said...

Your old work family is lifting you up. Prayers for rest and healing. Love you - Mo

Anonymous said...

Thank you to Kim and the family for your postings. I have emailed everyone a few days ago, and let them know that your blog is active. So many are now praying for you.
I love you my dear, dear friend,
Cindy R.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Ladeva,
We wanted you to know that you are in our prayers. Yesterday, as we were working out in the woods, we felt moved to stop and pray. We don't know what was happening at that time in the operating room but God did.
Folks at the mission also had a special time of prayer for you. You are so loved.
The Day Family

Cathy Williams said...

Dear Ladeva, If there is anything that you need or want you, Warren and your family just have to ask. You not only have God on your side but you have the millions of us whose lives you have touched and enriched with your presense and your shared fellowship with God. May you feel the strengh of the Lord holding you safe as you continue to heal. Warm thoughts and prayers are coming to you from all over the country.
Hang tough,
Love, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Mom,
Yesterday, I could not stop this song from running through my head over and over by Casting Crowns. I hope that it gives you the peace, hope, and joy that it does to me.
Love you always-Troy

"Praise You In This Storm"

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus]

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth