Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday's memories

June 30, 2008

Today Mom and Dad were at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA,henceforth)
early. They arrived a little after 7:00 and Mom went right in and got a blood draw and and i.v. in her hand. Something that usually is an ordeal was obtained in the first try. Praise #1.

I arrived at 8:30 with our son Brittain in tow.
As I mentioned in a previous posting, Mom was scheduled to have Dr. Hickman perform the port surgery, the same Dr. Brittain had 13 years ago as baby. He had been so gentle and humble and gracious back then. One of the radioogists that spoke with Mom last week and learned of this fact, asked her to bring in a picture of Brittain as he said it would mean a lot to Dr. Hickman. (If you don't know what I am talking about,please look to the right of your screen and read the blog entry titled "Topsy Turvy Tuesday" it will explain everything in enough detail for this to make sense)
I told Brittain I was going to take a picture of him and the first thing he said was
"Can I go meet him?" So, there we were. Mom was in the back gowned up to meet Dr. Hickman before the procedure and Dad, Brittain and I sat next to her. Brittain and I were both a little nervous. He was nervous because as much as he knew it would be neat, he wasn't sure what he would say. I was nervous because I didn't want to cry.

He came in and was exactly as I remembered him 13 years earlier. He shook Dad's hand and inroduced himself as "Hello, I'm Bob Hickman". It was odd that he didn't introduce himself as "Dr.", but I immediately recognized his humble, gentle approachable manner that had struck me so long ago. I shook his hand and introduced Brittain and explained that this was my son. I told him that Britt was one of his first patients to receive the prototype Hickman catheter, and that he had done the surgery 13 years earlier. I somehow squeaked out what a blessing it had been and that I wanted to thank him again and Brittain had wanted to come and meet him. He put his clasped hands up to his mouth and smiled so big, then started to cry. He was not able to speak for a minute and just looked at Brittain and shook his head. Mom told him during this time that we were told on three seperate occasions Brittain would most likely die that day. She also told him, we considered him no small part of his treatment and recovery and were forever grateful for his care and the pain the catheter kept him from experencing over those long months. He took a short walk away from the bed and looked away to compose himself. He came back over and smiled at Brittain again and told him he was a "handsome and fine looking young man and it was great to meet him". We were all cryng by then.(even Britt a little, though he said later that he wasn't sure why.)
I asked him if I could get a picture of him with Brittain. He agreed and so I took two pictures. One of the two of them and one with Britt, Dr. Hickmand and Papa and Grandma. Praise #2.

We got to see Mom after the procedure as Dr. Hickman came out and took us back to see Mom and get xrays of her new port. He showed all of the xrays to us and explained where it was placed, how he done the procedure and answered all the questions we had, never once making us feel rushed. They used Mom's jugular vein and placed it just slightly higher than her last port. After recovery we decided on a "last meal" before admitting Mom to the hosptal. We have really come to loath the food at the hospital and sometimes feel eating there may very well be our "last meal".
We went to lunch and ate outside by the water. Mom had again had to fast this morning and was ready to eat something. It was a warm and beautiful day and we felt blessed to get to spend a bit more time together before heading to the "ward". Praise #3.

Mom was admitted to the 6th floor. It was the first floor she was on and had been there for her first round. While the people we had there were wonderful, her memories of 6th were horrible and she had said many times that she hoped to not go back there. She was put in the last room at the end of the hallway and has a pretty view of park area below. She handled it well.Her spirits were good. Praise #4.

We thought she woould need 12 hours of hydration prior to chemo starting. The orders read 2 instead. That just means she will be 10 hours closer to going home than before. Praise #5.

I left to get Brittain home about 5:30. they had still not started her fluids.
(again, hospital time) Mom was still very tender and sore at the port site but came out accessed and ready for an i.v., so yet another praise!

I spoke with Mom later this evening. She had taken a little nap and had some dinner with Dad that I had packed and taken along to try to prolong the agony of the cafetera food. They had been able to pack a suitcase and food and all the items they needed for the first time. Each of the other 4 times in the hospital had been unexpected visits that had not given them time to pack hardly anything at all. They came prepared with food and beverages, fruit, veggies and microwave meals. Trust me, this is the way to eat up there. You may think microwave meals sounds bad, but it really is all relatve.It was a huge blessing to be ready and get to pack themselves. Praise #6.

I will be going up tomorrow, Carmen will go on Wednesday.
We continue to covet and appreciate your prayers, emails,blog posts and contact with Mom and Dad. You all would be what Mom would call her Praise #7!

Thank you.

Kimberly and family
P.S. I will post the pictures from today when I figure out how. John, Nichole and Lily are on a much deserved vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

His blessings are new every morning!!! If you have to be going through this, this is a GOOD day!

Be blessed,
The Richardson's

Mickey and Jeanne said...

So, today it starts all over again... But THIS time I have a sense that it is going to go better. I'm praying that anyway. Did you have a wonderful weekend with your honey? We spent Saturday out back in our camping area having a Church Picnic. We had about 50 people there, and it went really well. We had an old fashioned cake walk and raised $180 for Missions. We do this every year and people really seem to look forward to it - and it can get downright competitive. We just don't do cakes and pastry, but there were jerky bags and freezer jam and homemade relish and homemade candies. The biggest problem was the heat - it was stifling, but we were able to be out of the direct sun back in the trees. I STILL think it would be fun to have a camp out multi class reunion out there.

If you are home and feeling well, maybe you would like to come and hear Mickey give the word on the morning of the 13th at church. It will be his 'second' time. He did it about a year ago when most people stayed home one Sunday morning due to snow, but there were about 10 of us there, and as Chairman of the Board, he stepped in and gave a little sermon. But for all intents and purposes this will be his FIRST sermon. I THINK Bill, his brother, will be down to hear him. Be sure and pray for Bill... he is NOT doing well following his surgery.

I whisper your name in the morning as I water my flowers, and during the day as I go about my housework, and at night when I lay down to go to sleep, and as I say your name, I call down blessings and love and good health to you, and to everyone of your lovely family as well... especially Warny, the precious little darling.