Friday, July 25, 2008

The Healing quilt.


Yesterday was a good day.
When I got there Mom was reading a book, Dad was reading a magazine. The first question ai ask when I get there is "Who is your nurese today"? Mom had Jennifer. Mom has had Jenn every time she has been on the 6th floor because Jennifer always requests her. It's nice to see a familiar face each time,and in round 4 there are many. She is a sweet lady and it added another blessing to the day.

We ate a picnic lunch and went outside to sit on the patio for several hours. Then we went upstairs for some med additions to her iv pole and then back outside for several hours. It sure makes the day go by nicer when you can sit outside and pretend you aren't really at the hospital with four walls around you 24/7.

We had a late picnic dinner and I took some pictures of Mom with her "healing quilt" on her. For some of you that don't know about the healing quilt, it is a quilt Aunt Donna had finished by a friend of hers. It was just a quilt top that Mom's mother had made 46 years ago. It had floated from one family member to the next. Each had an intention of getting something done with it, but a few were told it was too old and it really couldn't be bound and made into a quilt. Aunt Donna's friend surprised her and did finish it. She hand stitched everything on it to match the quilt top. Donna received it back on Valentines Day of this year. She said she didn't feel like she should keep it to herself and so asked the Lord to tell her what to do with it.She felt the Lord tell her that it should be a "healing quilt". A quilt that went to the sibling that needed it the most at the time,and was sick. Just as their Mom had covered them in love and prayer, the quilt would be a symbol of the same love being covered over each person that needed it. So, I have taken a picture of that quilt to share with you.

I took this picture last night before I left,and Mom has it over her whenever she is in bed. Thank you Aunt Donna for sharing it.

Mom's afternoon/night nurse is a HUGE quilt enthusiast. She went to the National quilting Expose in ?Kentucky or Tennessee this year. She wanted to hear all about it.She loved the quilt and the story behind it. It was fun to share about the family history and Mom's brothers and sisters.

I won't be there today. Mom is doing so well and tonight is the next benefit meeting in Centralia. (Shameless pug here: ALL ARE WELCOME!)

Thanks again for the posts and calls and cards. They keep them going. She has her computer and reads the blog daily.

Love,
Kimberly

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ladeva,

You look so good!! The quilt is lovely and makes me think of a quilt top that I have that needs bound, although I don't know the history of it too much.

Glad you can get outside and enjoy the weather!

I am on a "staycation" until next Tuesday. I would be happy to help you on Mon or Tues...I will give you a call.

love Deb G

Anonymous said...

Ladeva, what a blessing to hear that so far things are going well. We will continue to pray for you each day and believe God to get you through another round of chemo. The quilt looks great over you and it must make you mother smile up in Heaven to see it used for a 'healing quilt'. She was a wonderful and gracious lady.
Ed and Ruby

Anonymous said...

Hi my Dahlin Deva,
We just got back from Krystl's in Austin. We had kept Kaleb for a week with our stay we were with him almost 2 weeks. He's wonderful and we were glad to be able to share him.
While he and Krystl were here, Evelyn Joyce, Candy, and Karl came from Dallas. We wished you were here with us so much. We talked behind your back, cut it was all good. Donna called me Wed. PM right after she got home from your place. She was so happy to have been with you. That girl loves you soooooooooooooo much. What a faithful sister. Of course, I know the others do also.
While EJ was with us she swam every day, sometimes twice. She just loves water. Kaleb enjoyed not letting any of the girls keep their hair dry!
This is Friday and I just looked at the blog. What a wonderful picture. I'm so pleased to see the beautiful quilt Aunt Ollie started. Donna's idea of healing was a great one. I love it. Sounds just like her.
It is about 3 PM and Virginia is still sleeping. The trip was wearing, but worth being able with our kids. Daryn, Leslie, and precious little David were down Sunday the week EJ and kids came down. It seems Our lives revolved around that pool while everyone was here. We laughed and talked and talked and talked. You know how it is when you are with EJ, Candy and Karl.
I'm so glad you have gotten off to a good start this 4th round. I read the blog daily, but sometimes don't write. But you are loved in so many ways by all of us. Go ahead and get well so you can start traveling. Lovin' U,
Jerry and Virginia xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

HEY SIS,
I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD DAY AND PICNICKING.
AND IT IS SO AWESOME TO SEE THE HEALING QUILT AT WORK. YEAH MOM WOULD BE PLEASED:)
DEE, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, TO SEE YOU BEING SO BRAVE AND I AM SO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU IN MY LIFE.
I LOVE YOU FOR ALWAYS.
djkz

Mickey and Jeanne said...

So beautiful as always.... I LOVE that you showed a picture of the healing quilt in action... God's anointing covering in physical form for ALL the world to see. What a tremendous testimony. Lord, right now, in the name of JESUS, I rebuke pain, swelling and nausea for Ladeva in this round of chemo. Her testimony is for your Glory Lord, and we want YOU to be lifted up and praised. Thank you, in the name of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

DEAR DEV:

I LOVE THIS PICTURE THE MOST.... OF COURSE I SAY THAT ABOUT EACH ONE. I DO LOVE SEEING THE QUILT THAT MOM DID THE TOP FOR. I AM SO THANKFUL THAT IT DIDN'T GET LOST, THROWN AWAY, OR PUT IN THE GOODWILL BAG. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK DONNA'S FRIEND, LINDA FOR ALL OF THE HOURS OF LABOR THAT WENT INTO IT. IT WAS SUCH A BLESSING FOR ALL OF US.SHE WILL NEVER KNOW THE BLESSING THAT IT HAS BROUGHT.
I AM HAPPY AND THANKFUL THAT ROUND 4 HAS BEEN GOING WELL FOR YOU, AND THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. IT MAKES ME THINK OF THE TIMES WE SAT OUT, WHEN WE VISITED BRITIAN.
REMEMBER THAT WE LOVE YOU BOTH VERY MUCH AND YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS DAILY..........EDDIE