Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Swell !

Hi everyone,
Just a note to keep you updated on Mom's progress.
She has been really swollen in her leg around the thigh and down the leg to the ankle. She spoke to the radiologist about it yesterday and they decided to have an ultrasound done to rule out the possibility of another blood clot.

All was clear. No clotting, just swelling. The Dr. believes it is just the same old thing. The tumor pushes on the tissues and surrounding vessels and constricts the flow of fluid, backs it up, and causes swelling in her leg. It is irritating and can be sore, but not overly painful to this point. She is starting to have tenderness around the corners of the radiated area so would appreciate it if you remember her in your prayers as always. She still has several weeks left, so we know there will be a day when it could potentially get worse. For now we are grateful for today and the relative discomfort to the pain of the chemo and side effects. Mom has a good attitude, staying positive and looking forward to the day the tumor can be removed and go to the next phase of battle.

I have an awesome family. Some days we are down, some days we are up. We take turns and when one of us is struggling, the other lifts us up in prayer, deed or word. Yesterday I was having a punk day. Then my brother called.

I have to say that one of the biggest gifts of my life is Troy. For years Carmen and I prayed for a little brother. Mom and Dad were done after the two of us. (Understandably.) Take that whichever way you must. We prayed daily for a little brother. God answered the prayers of two little girls and along came Troy. I am not sure in the history of the world if there has ever been a more hen pecked child than Troy. Although in retrospect, maybe that is WHY he's such a wonderful man today. Ha :) He had in essence, three mothers. He didn't ever have a chance to learn like a normal little boy about manners because his Mother and two sisters were always in unison whispering "Say Thank you" etc.etc.

He is 6 years younger than me, and 9 younger than Carmen. He was our pride and joy from day one and we loved him to death!(almost) To this day Carmen and I are forced to remind him when he is being particularly naughty, that "We prayed you into this world, we can pray you out!" That usually shuts him up. I think there's just a bit of wondering.............?

He grew up and married a beautiful woman who I am so proud to call my sister. I love that girl so much. She is the best Mama in the world to Sadie and Nate, and she loves my ornery brother so she's just about perfect I think. I am blessed so much in my family. I / we genuinely love to be together and draw strength from each other.
Yesterday was an example of that. I was having a day when I felt doubts and fears whispering around me and the phone rang. It was Troy. We talked and teased for a bit and then we really talked and my brother blessed my heart. He knew I was struggling and he started sharing some scripture he was reading daily as an encouragement to himself.

I wanted to share it with you as well. My hope is that if you are struggling with anything in your life right now, that it would encourage you. You may have read it before. I have many times, but not when I was in the midst of a struggle, so it came to life for me yesterday. God's word is like that. You can read it and it touches you. Then you can read the same thing years later and the same exact passage will open up, pierce your heart and have a new meaning all over again. It will apply to the very thing you are working through in your life. I love that.

1 Peter 5:6-10
"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you."

I loved that. It says many things. Different things may stand out to different people when they read it. I loved that God says when we humble ourselves He will exalt us in "due time". I have to remember it is in HIS time, not mine. He cares for me, loves me. He wants me to cast all my cares on Him. He can take it, and I could use the break. I just need to leave it there,and walk away from it. He wants me to rest in Him and I forget that sometimes. And finally, I love the promise that suffering will be for a while, He will: perfect, establish, strengthen and settle us. Mom's suffering will be settled. It won't go on forever. She will be strengthened in the end. While she isn't suffering now, we know it is not over. So, I am choosing today to cast my cares on Him. I can trust Him for the future, whatever it holds. He is trustworthy in all things. And, I can praise Him for giving me a family who loves and trusts the Lord, and a brother that yesterday, after years of being mothered by his Mom and two relentless sisters; mothered me.

I hope today you feel cared for, established, strengthened and settled.

With much love,
Kimberly

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Deva,
What awesome kids you have! Not only do they love you and Warren, they love each other and they love the Lord, and in everything they write, it shows. This website has been such a blessing to me--to read their updates and to have the privilege and honor to pray for you in the fight of your life. We love you and pray for you continually. Karl and Candi

Mickey and Jeanne said...

Deva - I loved the posting today. It shows you and Warren took the three lives God placed in your hands, and you raised them in the fear and the admonition of the Lord, and instilled high values and meaning in their lives. What a wonderful testimony of your faithfulness and stewardship. I especialy liked the Scripture quote today. You know me, and you know how radical I used to be - learning to submit to God and humbling myself was NOT an easy thing to do (in fact I still struggle with humility at times), but it has been the most fulfilling time of my life growing in His love and learning HIS timing is not mine. Most of all, I recognize that He has a plan for me that is far better than anything I could plan for myself. How blessed we are BECAUSE He loves us and cares for us. I've always held to my heart that HE has a plan for you, and He KNOWS you will do your assignment well and giving Him the glory for His touch on your life. You are a treasured child Deva.... and He TRUSTS you with this awesome task. You are so loved and so admired... You are constantly in our hearts and prayers, you and your WONDEFUL family. We love you all.......... j&m

Anonymous said...

Deva, your daughter certainly ministered to my heart tonight. We are going through a severe illness here with a dear friend of Ed's and the old saying 'it ain't easy' is true. But in HIS DUE TIME all things come right and PRAISE HIS NAME FOR THAT. What a blessing you and your family have been to others all the while going through your trials. I'm really looking forward to the day when we can sit down and have a good ole fashioned 'gab fest'. We are praying the swelling will go down in your leg, and the radiation will be successful. Oh what joy it will be when we hear that it is over and the tumor is gone.
Love you girl and give our best to Warren also.
Ed and Ruby

Anonymous said...

HEY DEE,
IT WAS SO GOOD TO BE WITH YOU. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.
KUDOS TO ALL THE FOLKS WHO DID THE GREAT BENEFIT. IT WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL SUCCESS. LOTS OF HARD WORK BUT IT CERTAINLY DID PAY OFF.
IT MUST BE OVERWHELMING TO SEE GOD WORK THRU THE LIVES OF OTHERS TO REACH OUT TO YOU AND TOUCH YOUR HEARTS AND LIVES WITH SUCH LOVE.
BLESSINGS AND LOVE,
djkz