Thursday, February 12, 2009

Test reports back

Hi everyone,
Mom has asked me to update the blog with the latest information. The nurse from SCCA called yesterday afternoon to tell Mom that her red and white blood counts were in the normal and acceptable range. Also, at long last, her potassium is in the normal range. This is huge for her as it has been consistently very low for months now.

She is encouraged that she may well be on a slow rise up to getting her energy back. She is super exhausted all the time and is frustrated by her memory. She forgets things that she wants to do, or conversations she may have had. This is entirely normal we have been told, and could last up to a year. It is maddening to her, but we need to keep reminding her that is just what chemo does. Even though her hair will eventually start to grow back and her energy will eventually return, the neurological effects may take many months longer. So, in light of that, if she forgets to call you back, please understand the dynamic around it. :)

She is starting to feel like getting out of the house, but can really only do a few stops and then she needs to get home to rest. She can't walk all the way through the stores and needs to rest frequently, but with time that will turn around as well.

Mom asked me to thank you who stayed with her after her treatments, cleaned house, made meals, did their laundry and just kept her mind busy and her spirits up. Dad would not have been comfortable going to work without someone there everyday and you all blessed them beyond measure. Words cannot express their gratitude to you all, and Mom prays that one day she will be able to bless each of you in some way. She sends much love, appreciation and gratitude to the best friends and family in the world.

With a grateful heart,
Ladeva, Kimberly and family

4 comments:

Mickey and Jeanne said...

Deva, Deva, Deva - Don't let the memory thing bug you.... I'd rather be forgetful than gone... Come to think of it, I AM forgetful thanks to that stupid stroke - and I was really upset when it happened and for the first few years afterwards - but once I adjusted to the fact that I had to write myself notes (and remember to read them once I did)... and to not over react when someone corrected me - I had to realize they did it to 'help' me and not belittle me. Sometimes I think we worry too much about what others think - and we need to realize they love us and they really don't mind if you forget to call them, or remember a card or something they have sent you. The worst thing that I did was allow myself to become isolated. I don't drive anymore, and I DON'T go to visit - and crowds make me feel like I am being smothered....... It is hard for me to admit that, but it has become a way of life after all those years of being so loud and outspoken..... and you know what? I kind of like the newer quieter me.......... I certainly like the result of being slowed down to the point where I can hear and listen to God - something I neglected to do for years.... You have fought a tremendous battle, giving God glory, every step of the way...... Imagine yourself right now wrapped in His loving arms and He is giving you comfort and all the love you need to heal and become the 'new' Ladeva. The new Ladeva has been closer to God these last months, and she has learned to slow down and notice EVEN MORE what the needs are around her. We can learn from the new Ladeva.... we can learn that God can take the most black situation and turn it into glorious light....... He has done that with you...... and in some ways with me.......... Each day is a new day...... Each day is a new promise. I love you my wonderful friend, and I have drawn much inspiration from being able to walk along this path you have had to travel, albeit it was from 70 miles away. There was not, there IS not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and whisper your name in prayer. My love and blessings to you and your WHOLE wonderful family...... Even old Precious............. jeanne

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU DEE.
djkz

Anonymous said...

PTL!!! You have come through the desert, a long trip takes time to rest up from.

Happy Valentines Day!

The Richardsons

Anonymous said...

HEY DEE,
I AM WISHING THAT WE WERE TOGETHER.
I THINK OF YOU SO MUCH AND LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW.
I FEEL A COMRADERE WITH SO MANY OF THESE GOOD PEOPLE WHO ARE TOGETHER WITH US ON THE BLOG, MANY OF WHICH I DON'T KNOW OR DID KNOW BUT HAVE NOT BEEN IN CONTACT WITH FOR MANY YEARS. ...HEY JEANNE:)RUBY:)BUT IT HAS BEEN A BLESSING TO BE ABLE TO CONNECT WITH YOU ALL WHILE WE ARE ALL ON THIS SAME ROAD TO RECOVERY WITH YOU,DEE, WARREN, FAMILY & FRIENDS, ASKING AND PRAISIING GOD EVERY STEP OF THE WAY FOR HIS STRENGTH AND MERCY AND GRACE.HIS LOVE CERTAINLY REIGNS IN THIS PLACE!!!
MAY GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY HEART AMONG YOU.
LOVE,
djkz