Sunday, December 21, 2008

Long overdue update

I realize it has been quite some time since we have updated the blog. I know many of you check regularly to see how Mama is doing. I'm sorry it has been so long. Mama is doing pretty well. Her healing from the surgery is going a lot slower than she would like, but we were told it would be slower due to her chemo and radiation treatments. Leg swelling and stiffness is one of the main things she battles with. Physical therapy has been working with her to reduce the swelling and improve her circulation. We are hoping the stiffness will get better as the swelling gets better. She has some occasional nerve pain, but is trying to control it with medication.

Mama had an appointment on the 16th to have her port flushed and to have blood draws. Due to so many port problems and pain associated with accessing it, she was really dreading the appointment. Praise God! The appointment went well. There were no problems accessing the port this time and there was minimal pain. Her leg was starting to get infected at the incision site, so they started her back on antibiotics. Hopefully that will be cleared up before she has to return for chemo. She goes back on the 30th for her 5th round of chemo. We will first be taking her to Seattle Cancer Care to have her port accessed and to meet with doctors before being admitted into UW Medical Center. This time we will be requesting the same young gal to access her port that took care of her on the 16th.

We are very thankful that Mama is able to be home for Christmas and feeling relatively well. She is of course not looking forward to starting chemo on the 30th, being sick and losing her hair all over again, but she is thankful for the time she has been given. She is a women of great faith and love for the Lord. I've heard her tell the Lord she didn't want to go through this again, but if it was part of His will for her to do chemo again, she is willing to do it for Him. She has asked God to use it for His glory. I feel so blessed that she is my mom.

When I think about the fact that Sarcoma cancer does not always respond to chemo, I am reminded how blessed we are that Mama's treatment has been so successful. I don't seem to run out to tears of thankfulness to God. God's hand has truly been upon her. I realize that God's healing is not always on this earth, so I am forever grateful to God for her healing and continued presence in my life.

This year has been a rough year on so many levels. God promises to never leave us or forsake us. Even in the midst of the turmoil and pain, He has been and continues to be near. God has used many of you to show our family His love and comfort. Thank you.

Since this blog will probably not be updated until Mama goes back on the 30th, I would like to wish all our family and friends a Merry Christmas. We are so thankful for each of you and for the many prayers on our behalf. May God pour out His blessings upon you this Christmas and always.

With love,
Carmen and family

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Carmen for the update. It is so very nice to be able to stay in the loop this way. Please please enjoy your family and have a very blessed holiday season! I will pray for a very successful and problem free appointment on the 30th. Merriest of Christmases to you all!
Love, Roxann

Anonymous said...

Hi Ladeva and family,

Isnt the snow just beautiful.....like Ladeva. I bet the view out your living room window is spectacular.

Glad to hear of the update and thankful hopefully the snow will be gone by Ladeva's next appt.


May the spirit of Christmas find a home in your heart and for a blessed 2009!!

God bless,

Debbie G.

Anonymous said...

My dahlin Deva,
So good to visit with you about
Godly business. Your friend is foutunate to have friends like you and Warren.
You sounded so beautiful and positive on the phone. I love your spirt girl. So glad your family all had a wonderful reunion with their individual families. That is way too cool.
The news was wonderful for Donna. I've just been praying and had her on my mind constantly. You and she mean so very much in my life. With love my dahlin Deva.
Jerry xoxoxoxo

Mickey and Jeanne said...

The 30th fast approaches. I wish you did not have to go thru all these treatments and tortures but it is all part of the plan I'm told. We are snowbound so I took the opportunity to get my spiritual food from the Joyce Meyer site, and listened to two of her sermons. She is such an anointed preacher and lately, her sermons have been just what I have needed to get thru the day. Today she taught on us asking God - why? why? why? and when? when? when? And she talked about even tho the prophets and the great ones in the Bible all prayed and believed expecting, NONE of them saw the 'promise'........ But they lived each day in faith and love and trust. In our emotional, physical and spiritual ups and downs, sometimes we wonder what it is all about and why God doesn't do it the way WE want it done - and it is really very simple. He already has it worked out the way HE wants to do it so that HE will be glorified. He never told us it would be easy, but HE DOES ask us to trust him and believe in fath. Plus, He promised He would never leave us or forsake us........... even if we sometimes feel He has....... We are so weak without Him. Knowing that you are strong in your faith and trust and belief, I am able to thank Him for His love for you.... and I trust you in His hands.
I love you Deva..... and Precious too..... Hope your Christmas was very special, and will have you in my prayers in the days ahead, as always. Love, jeanne

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping the blog updated and putting up a picture of my beautiful aunt. Miss you all, wish I could come and visit. Take care Deavie, Love you bunches!!!
Carly