Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Home at last.

Mom received her last infusion of platelets this morning.
They did another blood test and her platelet count had come up enough for her to be released.

They left the hospital a little before noon.
When they got home they got a call from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
They wanted to remind her that she had an appointment on Monday and Tuesday in Seattle. Then they told her that she was scheduled for surgery on Wednesday.

Huh?

Mom told them that we had been told that Tuesday was the day we were finding out what Dr. Conrad wanted to do next. She told the nurse that she had just been dismissed and that she was really hoping to get her strength back before going into surgery. She was told that they would keep the surgery schedule "as is", and let Dr. Conrad decide if Mom was strong enough for surgery on Wednesday.

So, we are not sure, but Mom may have surgery next Wednesday and be back in the hospital for a while. This is a "good news, bad news" situation.
On one hand, she wants the tumor out. On another, it was just a bit shocking to learn about it that way and not from the Dr. as well as so soon after getting out. But, we will just view this as God's plan and that he will work out all the details as they should be.

We are grateful Mom is home and will be seeing an Oncologist in Centralia in the afternoon tomorrow. She needs to see them and establish care with them for the future radiation treatment she will get in Lacey.

She is tired, but happy to be home.
She is thankful to you all for your faithful prayer and support.

I will update you tomorrow, but tonight I am just glad she gets to sleep in her own bed.

Thank you all,
Kimberly

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Answered prayer.

Thank you to everyone who prayed for Mom.

Dad called about 1:45 to tell me that they had come in to try one more time to get a blood sample from Mom's port. They had put in something called TPA that is supposed to dissolve any blood clots in the one side that had not been working since last Friday and.............. it worked!!!` Next, just for grins they decided to try the second side of the port and IT WORKED ALSO!!! They had done nothing to the other side at all and yet it gave blood just as smoothly as the other side with the meds.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and the prayers today.
Prayer can change things!!!

God is so good!!!

Mom is doing better tonight and has finished her potassium and all other infusions.
Her mouth is still sore but tonight she is talking better,and that means that the sores are starting to get better! She thinks she may even be released tomorrow.
Woo Hoo


Thank you again for all your prayer and love of Mom and Dad.
Your prayers on their behalf have been a blessing and has proved to change her circumstance.

With gratitude,
Kimberly and family

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

This is a frusterating email to write.
I want to share a new need, but have been struggling, with my family, to not drop into a full press depression.

Mom got to UW about 3:30. I didn't get there until after 7:00 last night.
When I arrived she was still not hooked up to anything,and the nurse was comng in about 8:00 to take blood from her port. Enter the problem. They were unable to get blood from the port. Now she had to either have a blood draw from a vein, or wait to have the charge nurse come in and de-access the one side, and then re-access both sides again and try to get one of them to work. Since she is such a tough poke, they opted for the latter. The one clogged port was able to receive i.v. meds, but not give any blood. Her nurse had not accessed a double port before and wanted the charge nurse to do it. The charge nurse had a meeting to go to so she ddn't get back to access until after 10:00PM. Mom had requested some lydocaine creme to numb the skin first. Her skin was bright red and raw. The hospital nurses at both Providence and UW had removed and replaced the coverings and tape over the port multiple times and her skin was tender, bright red and swollen. The creme burned and when they cleansed it to start the procedure, it burned like straight alchohol.

Now, usually I stay wth Mom and hand hold during these procedures, and I did. But last night she felt pain when each side was accessed. A lot of pain. I was not much support. I cried my head off watching her go through this one more time. It was finally done about 10:35 and they were able to draw blood through one side to start the blood type and cross. She was exhausted as was Daddy.They had been up since 2:30 AM on Monday morning and she just wanted to sleep for a little bit. She had taken some oxycodone about 9:45 so it may have helped her sleep for a bit.I left them about 11:00 after we got Dad's bed made, so unfortunately they got to bed really late.

I talked with Dad about 9:00 this morning. Neither port site will give blood this morning. Hence the AAARRRRGGGGHHH! Now what? the Dr.'s are in the hall talking and will discuss the options to address this.

She got one unit of blood through the night. She will get another today, platelets, and potassium. She is very weak and in constant discomfort. PLEASE pray for a repreive for her. God is still in control. He is still watching over her. I remind myself of that day and night, but honestly that doesn't mean we don't get discouraged.

I know the Dr.'s will do what they can to resolve this situation with the port, but I felt so discouraged this morning. Then I was reading in Psalms and I read:

Psalm 118:8 "It is better to trust in the Lord, than to put confidence in man."

This morning I was asking what were the Dr.'s planning? What did they think will resolve this? What are they going to do? Relying on other people and the Dr.'s is part of living, and being in the hospital. That's why we go, but my ultimate trust must remain in His hands. I have to keep my eyes lifted up. God is sovereign. He will decide what is best and when.

I will ask you though, to keep us in your prayers as well.
It's easy to let things discourage. I am praying that today will be a new day of positve results and a clear direction.

We as a family thank you for all your prayers and encouragement.
This blog is a special blessing to us.

With love,
Kimberly and family

Monday, August 4, 2008

Back to UWMC

Dad called this morning to tell me they were at the ER in Centralia Providence hospital. Dad had taken Mom in the middle of the night. At that point they were giving her hydration and had taken a blood sample.

Dad called back around 11:00 AM to tell me that Mom's red, white and platelet counts were dangerously low and that they were discharging her from Centralia, so Dad could take her to be admitted at UWMC. She will need at least two additional blood transfusions and platelets.

Dad ran home to pack them a bag and then they will head up North.
They are very concerned with her counts so low and she is at huge risk of infection etc. right now.

Please pray for her protection from sickness, and that the new blood and platelets will turn things around quickly for her. They dread going up there again, but are doing what they have to, and most importantly, what is in the best interest of Mom right now. This is not great, but it is one more step she is taking with one more day and another giant down. She can beat this one too. She is brave and strong.

Please keep praying diligently.
We are grateful to each one of you.

With love and gratitude,
Kimberly and family

Sunday, August 3, 2008

The struggle goes on...

Hi everyone.
Mom is still really struggling with these horrible mouth and throat sores.
It is even too painful to speak as her teeth scape her mouth and cause more pain.
This is emotionally taxing when it drags on day after day.

Her specific request for prayer at this point is that she turn the corner with these symptoms and not have to return to the hospital and be admitted as she has in the past. Her last visit for the mucusitis bought her a week at UWMC. She desperately wants to remain at home.

Please pray for her specifically in this area.
We are all so grateful to have this way to request prayer for Mom and Dad.

Thank you for your continuous and tireless prayer.

Kimberly and family

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Home again home again jiggity jig.

OK, so Mom got home this afternoon after getting i.v. hydration and pain killers. Dad had stopped and gotten her some egg flower soup to see if she could eat any of it. She was able to get some down as well as a little propel flavored water. She's keeping her chin up and they are happy to have one more day of treatment and symptoms behind her. She is not pain free by any means, and even swallowing pain killers is a challenge when you can't swallow your own spit.(sorry Mom if that is too crude)

I hope she is able to sleep tonight and that they can both get some rest.
Thank you for praying for her.

I will update tomorrow after I have another report.

Blessings,
Kimberly

A bump in the road

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you on Mom for the last two days.

Yesterday they headed up to Seattle for her blood transfusions.
They got caught in some horrible 1-5 traffic and were late in getting to their appointment. This pushed everything back. They accessed the port to do the preliminary blood check and discovered that one side of the port is blocked with what they believe is a blood clot. The good news is that they can still access the other port side for now. They were still able to give the blood through the one port side. They got started at 3:00 instead of 1:00 so it was sometime after 9:00PM when they returned home. They had an exhausting day yesterday.

This morning I heard from Dad and they are back in the ER at Providence hospital in Centralia. Mom can not swallow again as the mouth sores from the chemo have really flared up. Dad called up to Seattle and they told him to take her to Providence.
She is waiting now to see a Dr. so I don't have anything else to tell you until that is done. Hopefully she will get some earlier help and the sores will resolve themselves faster with good hydration and medical care.
We would ask you to pray for her in this latest bump in the road. Please pray for rest for them both and a quick healing.

The port issue will remain unaddressed until we know for sure if she will continue to need it.

We thank you for your prayer and support of Mom and Dad.
Love,
Kimberly